Monday, February 2, 2009

Freaking Out About Memes

Someone needs to put a stop to all of these meme things floating around out there.

I joined facebook a while back because I wanted a method to stalk former friends and acquaintances without having to reestablish meaningful contact with any of them. While I appreciate the availability of this information (pictures, notes, etc.), there are unfortunately many irritating aspects of facebook.

One of these is the meme.

What the hell is a meme? It's some sort of survey type thing that gets passed around from person to person across the interwebs. The idea is that once you're tagged you have to put down a bunch of personal information about yourself and then pass on or "tag" another person, who then repeats.

This happened to me once back in November via the blogosphere. I was tagged to share seven things about myself, which I then posted on my regular blog.

After much deliberation, I managed to squeeze out seven things about myself. I thought I was done. Then I got tagged this week - twice! - on facebook to share 25 random things about myself.

I don't like sharing random bits of information with people. I don't know why. I just don't. If something comes up in a conversation where a piece of information might pertain to the conversation then that's fine, but 25 things out of the blue? Not a fan. But the people who tagged me shared 25 things about them, so not only are other people able to do it with ease but they are also willing to share their personal information with me so what the hell is wrong with me now that I don't want to share, you know, what am I hiding?

So now, I'm freaking out because I don't know if I should repeat myself (in which case I still need to think of 18 more things) or do I need to write unique stuff for each one, which means I need to think of 57 interesting random bits about myself.

Don't get me wrong - I'm the most interesting person I know. But 57 interesting tidbits worth?!

I mean come on.

3 comments:

Chris Othic said...

Nat, problem solved:

1. I have a huge penis
2. I have a huge penis
3. I have a huge penis
4. I have a huge penis
5. I have a huge penis
6. I have a huge penis
7. I have a huge penis
8. I have a huge penis
9. I have a huge penis
10. I have a huge penis
11. I have a huge penis
12. I have a huge penis
13. I have a huge penis
14. I have a huge penis
15. I have a huge penis
16. I have a huge penis
17. I have a huge penis
18. I have a huge penis
19. I have a huge penis
20. I have a huge penis
21. I have a huge penis
22. I have a huge penis
23. I have a huge penis
24. I have a huge penis
25. I have a huge penis

You're welcome.

Joe Janes said...

Those are pretty random things, Chris. Unless you were writing Nat's for him. Or testing the affects of positive thinking on yourself.

I'm beginning to hate memes, too. But on Facebook, I got tagged to do 16 things about me and then after I did it, people tagged me to do 25. Enough, I say!

Chris Othic said...

Yes, I was writing that meme response for Nat. I tend to go for the "I have a small penis" joke myself. Truth in comedy, and all that.