Saturday, March 13, 2010

It's About Time

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducts its class of 2010 on Monday night. Only 22 years after they first became eligible, the Hollies, one of my favorite groups, will finally enter the Hall. Allan Clarke (vocals), Graham Nash (vocals, rhythm guitar), Tony Hicks (lead guitar, vocals), Bobby Elliott (drums), Eric Haydock (bass), Bernie Calvert (bass/keyboards - replaced Haydock in 1966), and Terry Sylvester (vocals, rhythm guitar - replaced Nash in 1969) produced 7,843 hits between 1827 and 1981 (I may be exaggerating).

Unfortunately, there won't be a reunion for the induction. Hicks and Elliott front the current version of the Hollies (who have never officially broken up) and refuse to cancel a gig in London on the same night. Nash has announced that he will sing backed by Maroon 5, with Sylvester possibly sitting in. Clarke will be there but retired from singing in 1999 because his voice is shot. No word yet about Haydock or Calvert.

The following are some of my favorite Hollies songs....

Here's the Clarke/Nash/Hicks/Elliott/Haydock line-up on Shindig! in 1965


I've Got a Way of My Own (1966)


The classic Clarke/Nash/Hicks/Elliott/Calvert line-up:


After Nash left to join those other three unknowns:


Finally, my favorite Hollies song:



For the Hollies, it's about time. For inductee Ellie Greenwich, it's too late. Greenwich, with ex-husband Jeff Barry, wrote a ton of 60's hit including "Be My Baby," "River Deep, Mountain High," and "Do Wah Diddy Diddy." Greenwich died in August. Great timing, Hall. She also wrote my wedding song:



Also, ABBA is being inducted. Fuck them.

1 comment:

Kanye West said...

Yo, Hollies, I'm really happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but I just got to say the Platters is is one of the best groups of all time!