Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Christmas Eve Wrap Up

Merry Christmas Eve! And to all my Jewish friends and friends of many other faiths; get on board with Christmas you jack napes! It's the coolest!

So starting the day after Thanksgiving I used my facebook status updates as an advent calendar. The first day started with "Merry Christmas Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve..." and so on. There was one "Eve" for every day from the current date through the actual governmentally recognized traditional Christmas Eve. I did it the first day as a joke nodding to the insane practice of pushing Christmas on people earlier and earlier each year by the marketing departments of various corporations. This year there was a radio station that actually started playing Christmas music 24/7 three or four days before Thanksgiving.

Side bar: I don't believe that the world will end December 21, 2012. I do believe that December 21, 2012 is the date the United States will officially announce that Thanksgiving is no longer a national holiday.

After I typed out all those "Eve"s on my first post I thought it would be fun to simply post the same basic message each day, but each day I would remove one "Eve" thus bringing it to the correct number each day. It became my my 21st century version of the Christmas chains I used to make as a youth. I also thought it would be interesting to see what types of comments people would post while this modern day Advent calendar got shorter and shorter each day. And finally I wondered if I could resist putting up posts like "Been in the mall all day. Wow, I didn't know feet could hurt this much! LOL!" and stick to doing just one post each day with the exact same theme.

So now it is Christmas Eve, and tomorrow the chain ends. Since today is my day to blog I have decided to share all of the comments people have posted throughout my Advent calendar experiment. I'll leave their names out, but will include the dates. I find some of the comments/reactions very interesting. I apologize for the font craziness that happens in the preceding dialogue. It's christmas Eve, and I don't want to spend the time trying to fix it. I gots family to visit. Enjoy, and Merry Christmas!

November 27:

Very Smart. I like it.

plus six more eves for new years'


November 28:

*Apparently I missed a day accidentally. I noticed my November 29th post came at 5:00am, so that kind of explains itself I guess.*

November 29:

1 person "likes this"

I see where this is going

I do too Lisa....and I'm a little worried about Geoff

November 30:

I'm looking forward to your status on Dec. 26th.

--I think his record is stuck

You're off by one.

Be careful what you wish for. It might be Merry Christmas Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve!

December 1:

Geoffy, are you excited?

Oy vey

December 2:

2 people "like this"

I don't know who this "Eve" person is, but I think you're a bit obsessed wit 'er

methinks you are just copying, pasting and deleting one "eve" from your previous post. i don't believe you are actually putting in this effort. bah humbug

You're a mean one, Mr. Crump.
You really are a heel.
You're as cuddly as a cactus,
You're as charming as an eel.
Mr. Crump.

You're a three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich with arsenic sauce...and I wouldn't touch you with a thirty nine and a half foot POLE! (Mr. Crump)

December 3:

how many times did you lose count?

I think I'm starting to see a pattern here. The list is noticeably shorter than before.

just so you know,... i thought facebook sucked at news feeds and it was broken bc it kept saying you put this up as your status.

It's the facebook version of an advent calendar

Do you open the little windows on your calendar and find candy inside? Or am I the only one who did that as a kid?

(This is a reply comment from me); I did open the windows, but we never had candy involved. If I was any kind of programmer I would make an actual facebook advent calendar with the windows and such, but I'll make do with the status update.

I did not open windows, but had a calendar with candy on it! My mom made it, and now I have it for my son.. I actually finished putting candy on it BEFORE December started this year.. Heh..

December 4:

way to stick to this bit.

You are ny facebook advent calendar.
This also makes for a good countdown to the 10th doctor

Dec 26th...Geoff posts on Ebay...Keyboard for sale. Works good except E V keys broken.

This is totally unrelated - I performed the song I wrote for your roast for my roommate 2 days ago. Do you have the video of that event?

(reply comment posted by me); Corey - Yes, I should still have that VHS somewhere. I loved that song! Perhaps I'll watch it later today

Excellent! It brought back very fond memories of your drum skills!

STFU Crumpie! :-p

December 5:

1 person "likes this"

I'm going to punch you in the Christmas.

You're going on ignore until the start of Jan I think.

i'm thinkin.... so if 'eve' is the before word, find out the after word, and then do that after christmas in the other direction and then you can keep feedin' 'em and feedin' 'em until it's that one day where instead of adding another after word you flip back to 'eve's again. geoff, you could invent a whole new roman numeral system here!

we will
be able to recognize the christmas solstice because you'll have swapped words again, and worst case you get a scheme for a free daily different facebook status.

December 6:

Hi Geoff. How are things going in the Bizarro world these days?

Ha your status only takes up two lines now...I'm in trouble!!

December 7:

I take it this exercise is to continue for a time...

I like it! It makes me smile every time....

oooh....i get it now.

You are a facebook advent calendar.

Geoff's diabolical plan is to write a book of all the various comments he can get from one nonsensical phrase. I'm not sure what the title will be...Going Rogue is already taken.

December 8:

1 person "likes this"

it's like those advent calendars except instead of getting to open a new thing every day, you just take words away.

I would rather get the daily piece of candy:)

December 9:

we're making progress!

Sigh.

How about Merry Xmas 4x4

This year I'm changing my name to The Jew Who Stole Christmas.


December 10:

your lack of "eve's" are making me think i should start christmas shopping.....

December 11:

christmas eve is nice, but i'm looking forward to summer's eve

(another reply post by me); For that nice... fresh.... feeling?

Merry Christmas Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve to you sir, as well!

this is giving me a sense of anxiety..its getting closer....am i ready? NO

Ba Ba Ba Ba Ba Ba Ba Ba Ba Ba Ba Ba Ba Ba Humbug

December 12:

1 person "likes this"

I don't like that the eve's keep getting shorter and shorter...

I agree with Melissa

Getting shorter...

December 13:

*no comments were posted and no one liked "this". Up to this point this was by far the most comments in a row I had gotten on facebook.*

December 14:

Almost all fits on one line, now!

You're funny!

You're an anti semite.

I finally got it Geoff...DUH

December 15:

I married a real winner!

You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to, depend greatly on our own point of view.

One line... Nice. I need to see that Caddyshack Biography too.

omg..i just realized that the whole "Eve" thing is a countdown to Christmas...can you say IDIOT?!?

Do you mean yourself or Geoff?.....Ü

me, silly:)

it's ok, he only does this twice a year.

December 16:

Glad it's getting closer, now I don't have to read so many Eve's on your status!!!! :-D

Maybe so, but you certainly are lacking the Christmas Spirit sir! Did the carolers mean nothing to you? Now go put on the christmas sweater and change your attitude! :)

LOL! Make it an UGLY Christmas sweater!! :-)

Oh it is! It is wonderfully ugly :)

Sweet!!! :-)

Have you repeatedly been posting this? Or am I waking up in a continuous loop (as in Groundhog Day)?

As a person who's done 0 shopping for her family, you are definitely the keeper of my time line. Happy Holidays!

December 17:

you're running low on eves

Oh wow...it's only one line of eves now!

December 18:

the lack of eves is beginning to make me realize i have alot to do in a week...

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

December 19:

Happy St. Patty's Day to the 88th power

December 20:

Wow. That's getting really short!

Yes... really short. It hit me today that we're in the 20s... and it's this week.

December 21:

1 person "likes this"

we're getting so much closer....

Your status has been slowly killing me for days... I'm not ready!!!!

I'm not looking forward to dec 26ths post

Yikes!

And happy Boxing Day Eve Eve Eve Eve. That's the holiday people really look forward to.

December 22:

1 person "likes this"

I will only like this if you start December 26th.

December 23:

We're getting close now!

I'm worried about the 26th. FB won't allow enough characters for a status update with 364 "Eves"...

i literally thought - oh! - i should check geoff's page, it must be smaaallll! how exciting.

What will you do after Christmas Eve?

HEY...that's what Adam would have said to his wife today...except Christmas wasn't invented yet.

This bit is less funny the closer it gets to Christmas.

I am so woefully unprepared!

How would you say this to rapper Eve?

December 24:

3 people "like this"

now that must have been easier!

I wanted to log into Facebook, just to see this status update... That's how I knew we were in the Christmas season.. your updates.

You have been a very very busy ELF and we have all appreciated your what ...?? Oh I know your sillyness

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the 'eves' dwindle! Thanks for the entertainment!

I've seen this message on many facebook statuses today. Geoff is a poseur and I do not appreciate it.

Geoff...if you'll stop with the Eves I won't come and beat you up.Deal?









3 comments:

Mike Bauman said...

Merry Christmas Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck!!!

Chris Othic said...

Tiny Tim is dying.

Tabitha L said...

Thanks ffor sharing this