February is named after the Latin word ‘februum,’ which means purification. Doesn’t that sound like a blast? Alternative names from throughout history include the Anglo-Saxon Solmanath, which means mud month, or Kalemonath, which means cabbage month. In Ukrainian, apparently the month is names after ice or hard frost.
Happy icy mud month of cabbage, everyone!
- Here’s how much I dislike February: I’m going to make a numbered list of why it’s the worst month.
- Of the three traditional winter months, February offers the fewest redeeming qualities. December: holidays. January: post New Year’s hang over and the promise of the fresh slate of the new year. February: COLD.
- It is the shortest month of the year, which at first would seem to be a merciful blessing. In fact, the weird number of days (sometimes it’s 28, sometimes it’s 29) adds to the anxiety of dealing with the month.
- It’s the last month of winter, which means our patience for winter has grown thin.
- Most suicides out of any month. I heard that somewhere; can’t verify if it’s true but I’m going to assume that it is since February sucks.
Here another list of February holidays in order of least to most awful:
- Mardis Gras: You get to drink a lot, eat bad foods and flash breasts at people, but it’s immediately followed by Lent.
- Presidents Day: Only up this high because sometimes you might get the day off depending on who you work for. As far as what the holiday is actually about, I haven’t a clue.
- Valentines Day: depending on your life, this could be anywhere from a decent day to an unnecessarily stressful day to a horrific reminder of your continued loneliness.
- Groundhog Day: How much more shitty weather are we going to have left? A lot or a whole lot? Thank you, rodent.
- Flag Day of Canada: self explanatory.
That’s it. That’s all you have to look forward to this month. I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But look on the bright side. Once February is over, you’ll have eleven more glorious months until another February rolls around.
So we have that going for us.